In the above referenced verse, the gate was to "opened" on both "the sabbath" and "the day of the new moon." Is "the day of the new moon" also a sabbath? Thank you.

8 Comments

B.L. Cocherell B.L. Cocherell

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

The Sabbath and the New Moon are two different observances. However, it is possible that a Sabbath might fall on the Festival of Trumpets, which is observed on a New Moon.
Tom Barnes Tom Barnes

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

Thank you.  Do I understand correctly, that in a "normal" month, the day of the "new Moon" is not a sabbath day of rest?
John Keyser John Keyser

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

Being a festive occasion, and a special time for worship, when the New Moon arrived trade, buying and selling, and handicraft work stopped, and the Temple was opened for public worship services. It was treated like a Sabbath, although not quite as stringent.

In YEHOVAH's calendar the New Moons could NEVER coincide with a High Day or the weekly Sabbath. The Feast of Trumpets was the New Moon day for the 7th month in YEHOVAH's calendar. It is only when you have YEHOVAH's High Days and New Moons on His calendar and the weekly Sabbath on man's pagan Gregorian Calendar that you have a problem with some observances running into each other. That's why Hillel II and the Jews came up with their postponements!!
Tom Barnes Tom Barnes

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

Thank you.  If the 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th days are regular Sabbaths, are the days of the new Moon "sabbath lite?" I am unsure what is a normal day for the day of the new moon. As an example, is it permissable to work on the day of the new Moon, if you so desire?
B.L. Cocherell B.L. Cocherell

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

There many opinions about the observance of the new moon and how to calculate it, some of which are
detailed in the two volume edition of The Commanded Observances and Holy Convocations Past, Present, and Future, which may be downloaded free of charge from bibleresearch.org
Tom Barnes Tom Barnes

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

On a personal note, what do you and the HOIM staff do or do not do on the day of the new Moon? Thank you.
Rufita Rufita

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

Regarding postponement reasons. Holy Days do occasionally fall on Sabbath.

“Remy Landau <http://hebrewcalendar.tripod.com/#10> points out that this rule reduces the number of Qeviyyot (Hebrew year types) from 28 to 16, and it also prevents the first day of Rosh HaShanah from falling adjacent to Shabbat (although Rosh HaShanah can and does fall on Shabbat itself).”
John Keyser John Keyser

Re: Ezekiel 46:1

Rather than write a lengthy exegesis here let me point you to an article that should answer your question regarding how to observe the New Moons.

www.hope-of-israel.org/lookmoon.htm

Regarding the fact that on YEHOVAH's calendar the high days (Passover, Atonement, etc) NEVER enchroach on the weekly Sabbath, let me point you to the following article:

www.hope-of-israel.org/massivedeception.html

I trust this should help you in your search for truth.

Best,
John K.