Mr. Keyser: in 2003 my family and I began to keep the sabbath on the weekly 7th day of Saturday.  I have been reading your essays for nearly two years.  Recently, we changed to keeping the sabbath on the seventh day after the day of the new moon.  I have embraced your belief that the day of the new moon is determined by the first sign of the sliver from Jerusalem.  This month of November your calendar listed the 20th as the day of the new moon.  However, a website (timeanddate.com), showed a computer generated sliver (waxing crescent) of 0.7% on the 19th.  Please comment and thank you for your assistance in clarifying this issue for me.

5 Comments

John Keyser John Keyser

Re: The day of the new moon

That is correct, Tom. The New Moon you mentioned occurred on the 19th in our Gregorian Calendar -- after sunset. However, since YEHOVAH's days run from sunset to sunset, this New Moon day actually fell on the 20th in our Gregorian Calendar -- sunset of the 19th to sunset of the 20th. Most of this period of time falls on the 20th in our calendar, thus making the 20th the actual New Moon day.

I hope this clarifies things for you. It can get confusing going from one calendar to another, but it will become easier with time.
Tom Barnes Tom Barnes

Re: The day of the new moon

Mr. Keyser. Again, thank you for your reply.  Actually, the sliver as represented on that website was well before noon Jerusalem time on the 19th.
John Keyser John Keyser

Re: The day of the new moon

Tom -- according to the program we use the New Moon of November was first visible at 16:57 local Jerusalem time with sunset at 16:38. The New Moon is not the actual but is the first visible which can only be seen after sunset.
Tom Barnes Tom Barnes

Re: The day of the new moon

Mr. Keyser: Copy that.  Thank you for staying with me on this minor but significant element of this issue.  Let's see if I have it: even though the waxing crescent begins during the daytime, it could not actually have been seen until after the light of the sun has been removed (i.e., sunset). Correct?  Is there one of your essays that covers this?
John Keyser John Keyser

Re: The day of the new moon

Tom -- check out the following article:

www.hope-of-israel.org/crescentmoon.html

This shows how the New Moons were observed during the Second Temple period when the Messiah was here.

John